Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cell Phone Etiquette

I realized that there are actually some people out there that are unaware of how much a cell phone and a "private conversation" between them and the other end of the call are affecting other people.  So now I bring you: the do's and don'ts of cell phones in retail.

Do:
  • End your conversation before you check out in line.
  • Call someone if you have a problem locating them while in the same store.
  • Have all giftcard or registry barcodes or names scannable or readable and ready before approaching an employee with a question about said giftcard/registry.
  • Call or text it if you lose it in the store.
  • Have an emergency or I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) number listed.
  • Have fun ringtones that I can dance/sing to since I have to listen to it go off anyway.
  • Use it as a calculator instead of asking me what 30% off would be.
  • Engrave your phone with your name. (genius idea!)

Don't:
  • Check out in my line and ignore me while talking on your phone.
  • Ask me questions and then pick up your phone while I'm answering you.
  • Throw your battery "accidentally" under a soda cooler and make me fetch it for you.
  • Slide your phone down the aisle to see how far it will go on the newly waxed floors and wait for me to slip and fall on it.
  • Let your children play with it and then yell at them when they press buttons.
  • Have a heated discussion on the phone and ask me questions about who I think is right or wrong.
  • Use your phone as a measuring tape.
  • Put your phone on a random shelf and forget where you left it.
  • Talk on the phone via a bluetooth device while looking straight at me and ask a question.
  • Have a lock on your phone ('cause if you lose it, we can't answer it when you call.)
And finally....
  • Don't drop your phone in the toilet (after you used it) and ask us to get it out for you.

3 comments:

  1. I have a funny story about customers and cell phones. I was working at a movie theater while I was living in Illinois. As I'm standing in the box office waiting to serve customers, some lady walks up in front of me while she's trying to end a phone conversation. She was getting a loan from a family member or a friend because she was losing her house. I heard her talk about it, and gratefully thank them. Then she hung up and bought a $10 movie theater ticket from me. How much do you want to bet she got a #1 combo to go with her movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha great post. That shouls be printed out in HUGE letters and posted outside on all retail store windows and automatic door, and the cart-in case they missed the first 2 signs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine - LOL! That's too funny! And so true... I'll see people come in all the time to buy bread and milk with food stamps and then a cart full of junk food and clothes with cash. Those things just aren't right.

    Katie - YES!! And quite possibly on the checklane, too. :)

    ReplyDelete