Friday, July 16, 2010

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly....

We're holding a special today!  For one day only we're featuring:

The Good: A younger lady came up to the service desk today to return an item and we had a very pleasant conversation.  She wanted to know all about how my day was going (a rare occurrence), if I got to go home any time soon and enjoy the rest of the day (an even rarer occurrence), and then wished I'd have a "fabulous day!"
But wait, there's more!  She left with her receipt, but came back about 3 minutes later with a little child's left flip-flop they must've lost in the parking lot.  She came all the way back in to give it to us!  And, on top of it, came back (again) a moment later when she found the child and his mother to pick up the shoe and deliver it to them.  There is still hope in this world!!

The Bad: I was blocking off a cashier's lane so they could leave and clock out for the day when someone came up and asked me if they were still open.  I stated clearly that they were closed, but the checkout lane right next to it was open if they wanted to go there.  The person looked me in the eye and said, "oh, okay" and seemed to leave.  Little did I know, she was actually waiting 'til I wasn't looking anymore... For when I turned around, who did I see?  YES.  That sneaky little woman had gone around me when my head was turned and hopped right into the closed line!  And what's worse, when the cashier asked her how if she found what she was looking for, she pulled out her cell phone and started chatting.  How rude.

The Ugly: Being a smaller store, we have limited means in the handicapped department as far as motorized carts go.  We have a whopping total of: 2.  And when an overweight couple comes in (we're talking the kind that can't see their feet past their chins) and wants to use both carts because walking is clearly too much of a hassle, we then have a total of 0.
This created a problem a few days ago when an elderly gentleman wanted to go shopping with his grandchildren.  It was apparent that he had trouble getting around with just his cane and the cast on his leg indicated a broken foot in the near past.  He wanted a motorized cart.  Unfortunately they were trapped underneath the couple, probably sputtering and wheezing out their last breath and crying for help somewhere down the chips/snacks aisle.  He said he understood and went over to the little cafe area with his grandkids to wait for them to return.  45 minutes later, up come the carts going 3.4mph with their passengers taking their time.  The man waited patiently without complaint and in the meantime bought the kids a bag of popcorn and a drink and had their own little laughs while they were there.  They were grateful to receive the cart (almost an hour later), but I wish they didn't have to wait.

1 comment:

  1. Good nice customers are few and far between. But doesnt it just make you beam inside when they do show up?
    Bad is just bad- I personally would have walked up to that lady and told her to go to the other line like I once told her before.
    Ugly- I dont even know when to begin... Alteast the old man was kind and patient.

    ReplyDelete