Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Last Minute Shoppers

The time is 1 minute 'til closing.  This is the time for waiting - waiting for those last 3 guests to bring their items to the front to check out.  Once they're out of the store, we're FREE.  (Well, not really... we just don't have to deal with any more people after closing time.)  But anyway, 2 guests come up, check out, and leave... the third one is on their way and I am anxiously watching the seconds tick by.  45... 44... 43... 42...

And then the doors open.
5 more people walk in.
And the phone rings.
Twice.

This is the time when my patience is tested and I see how well I can hold back a groan that would wake the Lochness Monster himself from his sleeping depth in the whats-it-called lake and all the while holding a smile on my face as if nothing is wrong.

And don't ask me "if it's okay."  'Cause even though I'm required to tell you, "yes." it's really not.  Hours of operation exist for a reason.  And the reason is so I can go home. There's even a sign on the door that says we're closed.  It's the one that says: C-l-o-s-e-d.  Do not come in.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200. 
People should really go to jail for that.

2 comments:

  1. I know the pain. Thank you commenting on my blog. Im glad I inspired this blog, thats what mine was intended for...until I got my dog :-) lol. There is a similar post on my blog about staying open late. If you have ventured deep in my blog past you'll find those.
    And congrats to you for holding in that groan, I never did- along with the rolling of the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is definitely the worse.

    ReplyDelete